It is terribly funny to watch my generation
I try not to laugh but fail dismally
It’s a tech-savvy, pub-hopping and
Materialistic generation
That has married science and technology
That has given birth to new forms of disorders
That is least preoccupied with the existence
That is full of problems and complexities
That is replete with scoundrels and hooligans
That has smashed values into pieces
I feel I am falling into a pit
So deep and bottomless
I try not to laugh but fail dismally
It’s a tech-savvy, pub-hopping and
Materialistic generation
That has married science and technology
That has given birth to new forms of disorders
That is least preoccupied with the existence
That is full of problems and complexities
That is replete with scoundrels and hooligans
That has smashed values into pieces
I feel I am falling into a pit
So deep and bottomless
Hamid Hussain
5 comments:
You start off saying that it's terribly funny and you end up almost hopeless... But if you do think things are so dismal wouldn't you be providing the light at the end of the tunnel? Also aren't science and technology married anyway?
"funny" is an observation available only to an outsider. It assumes that the author is outside the picture he finds as funny, exactly why he should be hopeless, since it is beyond him.
To say science and technology are married is fallacious.
One of the things that we should be wary about these days is actually the technocracy of science.
Science is pure science as I understand it; technology implies a machinisation of life. Confusing both in the present era has lead to problems inimical to the "spirit" of science, which is the quest for knowledge. For example, how would dropping cluster bombs be part of a quest for knowledge?
I havent spoken about cluster bombs at all. But how exactly would you define science without the aid of technology whatsoever?
i totally agree. if you can tell me of one true alternative to the deadpan despair-drenched Kafka voice as the only storyteller of our generation or reality, i'll go seeking the tranquil wisdom of his Bodhisattva self to the farthest ends of the world. once i get there, i'm almost sure that i'll find the Little Prince there, feet dangling on the edge of our world-abyss,silent, building inconsequential paperboats as his tears sparkle down on us like rain.
Post a Comment